- Shalya was a king of Madra, brother of Maadri, the wife of Pandu.
- When invitations were sent out to the kings by the Pandavs and Kauravs, Shalya proceeded with a large army to join Yudhishthir.
- Duryodhan intercepted him and honoured him, letting him think that it was the Pandavs who were offering the hospitality.
- Hence Shalya was tricked into fighting for Duryodhan in the Mahabharat war. At Karn's request, Shalya acted as charioteer for Karn when the latter attacked Arjun.
- After the death of Karn, Shalya was made commander-in-chief of the Kaurav army. Shalya was finally killed by Yudhishthir.