- Shalva was a king of Saubh.
- He was in love with Amba, the princess of Kashi. But before Amba could choose him for her husband at her Svayamvar Bhishma carried away Amba and her two sisters as wives for Vichitravirya.
- When Amba told Bhishma of her love for king Shalva, she was escorted to him. But Shalva refused to accept her as she had been in another man's house.
- Shalva was a good friend of Shishupal, king of Chedi.
- On hearing of his death, Shalva attacked Dvarka, and in the battle that ensued, he was killed by Krishna.