38. kaccin no 'bhayavibhrastas
chinnabhram iva nasyati
vimudho brahmanah pathi
(38) Does he not perish like a rent cloud, 0 Mighty-armed (Krsna), fallen from both and without any hold and bewildered in the path that leads to the Eternal?
Fallen from both, ito bhrastah tato bhrastah, is he left in a no man's world? Does he miss both this life and the life eternal? What happens to those numerous persons who have not succeeded in pursuing the extremely difficult path of yoga to its end? Are their exertions useless altogether? Is it any good beginning a course which one may not be able to complete?
39. etan me sancsayam krsna
chettum arrays asesatah
tvadanyah sarnsayasya 'sya
chetta na hy upapadyate
(39) Thou shouldst dispel completely this, my doubt, 0 Krsna, for there is none else than Thyself who can destroy this doubt.
40. partha nail 'Ave 'ha nail 'mutra vinasas taste vidyate
na hi kalyanakrt kascid durgatim tata gacchati
The Blessed Lord said :
(4o) 0, Partha (Arjuna), neither in this life nor hereafter is there destruction for him; for never does any one who does good, dear friend, tread the path of woe
No man of honest life can come to grief. No good man car come to an evil end. God knows our weaknesses and the efforts we make to overcome them We must not despair for even failure here is success and no sincere attempt will go without its reward. Eckhart says : "If thou do not fail in intention, but only in capacity, verily, thou hast done all in the sight of God." Cp. Goethe : "Whoever strives and labours, him may we bring redemption."
41 prapya punyakrtam lokan usitvä sdsvatih samah
sucinam srimatam gehe yogabhrasto ' bhijayate
(41) Having attained to the world of the righteous and dwelt there for very many years, the man who has fallen away from yoga is again born in the house of such as are pure and prosperous.
sasvatih: very many; not everlasting.
sucinam • righteous. In VI, 11, cleanliness refers to the outer side; here inward purity is indicated 
42. alhavã yoginam eva
kule bhavati dhimatam etad
dhi durlabhataram loke
janma yad idrsaan
(42) Or he may be born in the family of yogins who are endowed with wisdom. For such a birth as this is more difficult to obtain in the world.