- Jambvati was the daughter of Jambvan. When Krishna defeated Jambvan, the latter gave his daughter Jambvati in marriage to Krishna and the Syamantak jewel as dowry.
- Jambvati stayed with Krishna at his capital city Dvarka.
- Seeing the sons being born to his other wives, Jambvati too desired to have sons.
- On hearing this, Krishna left for the mountain where the hermit Upmanyu was performing penance. Under Upmanyu's guidance, Krishna began a penance to please Shiv.
- After three months of severe penance, Shiv blessed him and granted him a boon that his wives would have ten sons each.
- Soon Jambvati delivered her first son, who was named Shamb.