The Bhagavadgita -S. Radhakrishnan
11. The Way of Devotion: Bhakti-margaa
As a rule, the particular qualities associated with bhakti, love and devotion, mercy and tenderness are to be found more in women than in men. As bhakti emphasizes humility, obedience, readiness to serve, compassion and gentle love, as the devotee longs to surrender himself, renounce self-will and experience passivity, it is said to be more feminine in character. Women expect, suffer, hope and receive. They long for compassion, mercy, peace. Femininity is in all beings. In the Bhagavata, it is said that the girls prayed to the Supreme Goddess, Katyayani, to get for them Krsna as their husband , When they are most truly themselves, women give everything, claim nothing; they want to love and be loved Radha typifies the loving soul. In relation to God, bhaktas are more like women. "The Supreme Lord is the only man ; all others from Brahma downwards are like women (who long to be united with Him)."
References and Context
- paramarthikam advaitasn dvaitam bhajanahetave tadrisi yadz bhaktih syat sa tu muktisatadhtika.
- ata eva tad abhavad vallavinam.
- dainyapriyatvam. Narada Sutra, 27.
- katyayani mahamaye mahayoginy adhidvarinandagopasutath devi patim me kuru te named..X, 22, 4.
- sa eva vesudevo'sau saksat purusa ucyate, striprayam itarat sarvam jagad brahmapurassaram.'